Formulation Technician I
Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of more than $40 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
Discover Impactful Work:
Middletown, Va. CDD
Large Volume Liquid Formulation (also applicable to Building 2 Formulation): Perform techniques and procedures to formulate liquid chemical solutions for reagents, controls, and calibrators in large volume equipment (1500L – 36000L).
- To build and inspect products in accordance with company specifications, drawings and procedures.
- Move and stage large quantities of raw materials using automated equipment such as powered lifts and drum haulers.
- All Areas Formulation Technician I:
- Prepare and inspect equipment for use in chemical and bio-formulations. Set up pumps, filters, tubing connections and mixers.
- Follow prescribed directions to calculate the amount of chemical needed to formulate the volume of the product specified in the production schedule. Weigh and mix chemicals with diluents under controlled conditions.
- Responsible for the cleaning and routine maintenance of all equipment.
- Maintain complete and accurate production records in conformance with GMP and FDA requirements.
- Perform basic laboratory analytical testing.
- Ability to successfully perform a line opening and line closing.
- Input data into a computerized material control system.
- Continuously monitors work area for unsafe conditions and take immediate action to correct unsafe condition(s).
- Responsible for quality of product produced.
- Ability to operate lifting equipment if required.
- Continuously follows all safety requirements including PPE.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent; a B.S. in Science or Medical Technology is preferred. Minimum of one year production experience (may be waived in lieu of B.S. in Science) and knowledge of the metric system (weights & volumes). Relevant education may be considered in lieu of one year production experience.
- Normal manufacturing environment.
- Position may require frequent communication and walking to other areas in which designated PPE will be required.
- Must be able to successfully complete a Respirator Fit Test within in 6 months of hire.
- Position will require sitting and standing.
- Ability to lift materials weighing up to 110 pounds. Employee to employ traditional lifting techniques for materials up to 75 lbs. Items over 75 lbs will require the employee to use non traditional techniques including, push-pull method, automated lifts and other equipment or additional techniques. Employee will be trained in these techniques upon employment. Employees already in position will require one time training.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Must have excellent math and communication skills and working knowledge of the metric system (weights & volumes).
- Proven problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Familiarity with various internal production processes.
- Working knowledge of computer applications (including word processing & spreadsheets).
- Knowledge of GMP and ISO requirements.
- Ability to work effectively with team members at all levels.
- Familiarity with SAP transactions is a plus.
- Flexible around work hours, available for overtime, as necessary (may include extended shifts & weekends).
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must meet required Work Keys assessment levels.
- Demonstrated good safety and quality practices.
- Good attendance history is required.
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory at Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
*This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requiring accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Messages left for other purposes, such as not being able to get into the career website, following up on an application, or other non-disability related technical issues will not receive a response.
Something looks off?