Postdoctoral Fellow- Peptide Chemistry & Capabilities
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Janssen R&D Discovery, Product Development, & Supply (DPDS) Postdoctoral Fellowship Program helps early career scientists gain the training and experience needed to further their careers, while addressing the needs of global healthcare. Janssen DPDS Postdocs work side-by-side with Janssen scientists on innovative research projects and have the opportunity to present and publish their work. They also learn the functional role of scientists in the pharmaceutical industry and receive valuable career advice from mentors while building a network of professional contacts and developing the skills needed to advance their careers.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC, is seeking a highly skilled, motivated individual to join peptide discovery chemistry team in Spring House as a Postdoctoral Fellow – Peptide Drug Discovery and Capabilities. The successful candidate will have outstanding graduate training in complex molecule synthesis including organic and peptide synthesis. In this position, the candidate will lead from the lab and contribute to advancing Janssen’s peptide drug discovery portfolio via generation of innovative solutions for synthesis, macrocyclization and late-stage functionalization of peptides. The candidate will have opportunities to learn and contribute to interdisciplinary drug discovery, drive independent ideation to practice via innovative science, partner with key stakeholders (high-throughput experimentation, screening, process research, modeling, and informatics), ultimately to accelerate peptide drug discovery at Janssen. The candidate will establish a substantial internal and external scientific presence including authoring scientific publications and presentations. Ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary team and goal-driven, time-sensitive environment, solve complex problem at the highest level, challenge the status-quo are key attributes. This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills vital to influence a collaborative environment.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting:
- Develop peptide synthetic strategy using state-of the-art science
- High-throughput experimentation (HTE) to screen and optimize challenging synthetic transformations on peptides
- Solid-phase synthesis, isolation, and characterization of novel peptides
- Communicating data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental meetings
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and shape shared objectives to drive peptide drug discovery
- Contribute to peptide capabilities using state-of-the-art chemistry, design, and technology
- PhD is required in peptide, synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry; Or expected Ph.D. with all completed requirements by January 2024
- Authorized to work in the U.S. for the 2 year duration of the fellowship
- Strong problem-solving skills in the synthesis of complex molecules, methodology development with knowledge of advanced synthetic and analytical techniques
- Proven track record of scientific contributions, primary or co-authorship on scientific publication(s) in top-tier journal(s)
- Experience of working in interdisciplinary, team environment with a track record of successful collaborations
Experience with one or more of the following areas is preferred:
- Modern synthetic technologies (e.g. photoredox catalysis, electrochemistry)
- Solid phase peptide synthesis (SPPS)
- Macrocyclization chemistry and design and synthesis of constrained macrocycles
- Late-stage functionalization (LSF)
- Peptide hit finding approaches – phage display, mRNA display technologies, etc.
- Chemical biology and biophysical techniques such as bioconjugation, permeability measurements, conformational analysis
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
Something looks off?