Research Scientist I - Flow Cytometry
Charles River Laboratories International
Mattawan, MI, US, 49071
For 75 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
Biomarkers (and Investigative Pathology) personnel are responsible for: The development, performance, and support of biomarkers and flow cytometry-based assays. Assisting in sample analysis for both the support of internal studies as well as external client-based studies in a GLP compliant environment. Including, but not limited to cytokine, hormone, renal, cardiovascular, osteo, complement, metabolic, and inflammatory markers.
- Effectively manage a portfolio of sample analysis projects while ensuring timelines are met in a single operational area with minimal oversight
- Execute review and approval of data with minimal oversight for final scientific/technical decisions within a single operational area
- Develop understanding of compliance expectations to respond to quality assurance audit observations in appropriate software with minimal oversight
- Assist with minimal oversight the completion of laboratory investigations, assay troubleshooting and quality observations
- Independently assist in problem solving for technical and/or regulatory issues
- Responsible for review of study plans/protocols/amendments
- Participate in Sponsor visits/tours with minimal oversight
- Provide expertise in developing and validating quantitative/qualitative methods/procedures with limited complexity/scope in one operational area
- Independently perform data analysis using appropriate software
- Develop critical thinking, troubleshooting and time management skills aligned with needs of operational areas
- Demonstrate effective communication skills through informal discussions with peers, supervisor, and team
Job Summary (Cont.)
- Independently function as a liaison, maintaining timely and frequent communication between CRL and Sponsor/Client/SD
- Independently ensure scientific integrity of studies
- Independently function as a Principal Investigator, Individual Scientist and/or Study Director
- Actively communicate and collaborate across operational areas in order to adhere to timelines and produce quality data
- Efficiently perform and document all procedures, materials and results in compliance with applicable regulatory standards as applicable (protocols, methods, SOPs, etc.)
- Write, review and approve deviations with minimal oversight
- Full understanding of regulatory and GXP requirements, industry standards and company SOPs within one operational area
- Effectively manage a small portfolio of research projects including method development and validation while ensuring timelines are met in a single operational area with minimal oversight
- Understand the theory and application of correction factors with oversight as required by operational area
- Able to recognize method and/or data issues and communicate them to management to minimize study impact with minimal oversight
- Provide support to staff members as required by operational area as needed
- Actively participate in internal process improvements, presentations and harmonization efforts
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) with 7-9 years of relevant working experience. Master’s degree (MS) with 3-4 years of relevant working experience. Doctorate degree (PhD) with 1-2 years of relevant working experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing at all levels inside and outside the organization
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Computer skills, commensurate with Essential Functions, including the ability to learn a validated system
- Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to evenings, weekends, extended shifts, and/or extra shifts; sometimes on short notice
- Ability to work under specific time constraints
The pay range for this position is $70,000 -$85,000. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 300 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 20,000 employees within 110 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 86% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Nearest Major Market: Kalamazoo
Job Segment: Research Scientist, Pharmaceutical, Laboratory, Testing, Science, Research, Technology
Something looks off?